Book Review: Starlight Sailor

For ages 2-6

Star light, star bright

Gold Dragon

 Review:

Starlight Sailor is a wonderful children's story that I found through Barefoot Books Publishing Company. The story line is about a little boy (and his dog) who takes an adventurous journey across the water in his paper boat to a far away land.

Jackie Morris, the author lives by the sea in a little house and has illustrated The Barefoot Book of Classic Poems, one of my favorite collections. James Mayhew, the other author, works in a garden studio and has illustrated The Barefoot Book of Stories from the Opera and can be found in my piano studio library collection.

My three grandsons love to engage in pirate stories, fishing, sailing and everything about the sea. So, this story is a delight, especially when the children on the island pretend to be knights and kings and explore a cave.

I found this beautiful hardcover children's book to be the perfect bedtime book. I would rate this book ***** stars. The soft rhyming tells a lovely, dreamy tale and opens with:

"Star light, star bright,
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight."

The pros of the book is that it is easy to read and if you love fantasy and ethereal illustrations, you will find a dreamy tale within these colorful pages. This beautiful children's book is a real page-turner for ages 2 to 6. You'll find instructions for making your own paper boat at the back of the book.

The only downside that I can find with the book is that it is a large hardcover one. It would be nice to have a different format available like a paperback book for boys and girls to read and take to bed with.

Also, the action builds when the reader is introduced to a large red and gold dragon but it's a nice dragon (not too scary) that takes the children on a ride through the night. For most kids, it will be a sweet dragon.

The illustrations are magical - a timeless classic! You'll see blue whales, blue birds, knights and kings along this journey of fantasy and pretend. Even the red and gold dragon is a nice gentle dragon, flying here and there, taking children everywhere!

The starfish and mermaids singing their lullaby is sure to put any young child fast to sleep. So dream on little ones of magical play with flying fish dancing in the sky! 



November is Picture Book Month and today, tomorrow highlights children's books about seas and pirates. Barefoot Books publishes lots of these. Visit Dena's Book Nook

Do you have your own paper boat story or activity?





“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.” — C. S. Lewis

My Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

“I love to read all your comments, thank you!”