Mandarin Orange Monday: Butterflies

butterfly exhibit San Diego Safari Park
 
"The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough." -- Rabindranath Tagore
  Butterfly and Caterpillar Class Books from Diane at TeachWithMe.com

orange butterfly resting on spider plant

But these are flowers that fly and all but sing:
And now from having ridden out desire
They lie closed over in the wind and cling
Where wheels have freshly sliced the April mire.
~Robert Frost, "Blue-Butterfly Day"

 Counting Butterflies Packet offered at Classroom Freebies

If you have a moment, I think you will enjoy this beautiful children's song. I love it so, especially because the gals soothing voice evokes such a peaceful moment that is so true of the butterfly. Enjoy!



Butterfly Song Lyrics

Down the valley,
In the meadow
I saw pretty butterflies,
They were flying in the air
They were flying very high.

On the flowers
Up the trees,
In the gentle morning breeze,
Butterflies, you’re so cute,
I would like to fly with you.

Butterfly Coloring Pages

Today's butterfly pictures for Mandarin Orange Monday are from my recent trip to the San Diego Safari Park. Every Spring the Butterfly Exhibit is open to the public and needless to say, the crowds are enormous. The huge butterfly display contained many beautiful varieties of red and black color, along with an enormous collection of brown butterflies landing on tree bark but when in flight you'll see their wings colored bright blue. I was delighted to capture their images even though the humidity was a bit of a challenge fogging up the camera lens.

Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation?

best children's butterfly books

For sure, Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" is by far my grandson's favorite book and one that I enjoy looking at over and over is from the author, Eve Bunting: Butterfly House. The book is about a young girl and her grandfather who rescue a caterpillar from a hungry blue jay and make a butterfly house to keep it safe. This tender story -- wonderfully illustrated with sun-kissed drawings -- includes simple instructions for making a butterfly house.

If interested, you'll find my review of the book on my other blog, LadyD Books

orange caterpillars
Cara Cara Navel Oranges with Raisins
Leaving you with a fun snack to make with your children. Thanks, Bern!

Happy reading!






“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.” — C. S. Lewis
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. very nice butterflies LadyD:) I love the song and must try that oranges with raisins:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - for the butterflies and the orange theme:) My favourite is your MoM entry. Such an elegant, curvy design and strong colour. Thank you for sharing them on Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lorik. That one is my favorite, too.

    ReplyDelete

“I love to read all your comments, thank you!”